November is National Runaway Prevention Month
National Runaway Prevention Month (NRPM) is led by the National Runaway Safeline with support from the Federal Government’s Family and Youth Services Bureau.
This year’s theme is “Shine a Light”. NRPM is not only highlighting the issues runaway and homeless youth face every day, but also the resources available to youth in crisis and at risk of or experiencing homelessness.
Here are 5 simple ways to get involved this November:
- Change up your social media profile pictures. You can add a “Shine A Light” filter to your Facebook profile picture to raise awareness about the issue.
- Go green on November 6th! Wear something green this day and post your pics on social media using the hashtag #NRPM2018 to help spread the word. Coordinate with friends, family, coworkers, or classmates to reach even more folks.
- Shine a light on November 13th: Contact a local service provider or agency and see if they’re hosting a candlelight vigil to “shine a light” on the issues facing runaway and homeless youth. You can also organize your own cadlelight vigil.
- Host a book club or movie night: Here are some suggestions for movies, books, songs, and other pieces of media that can spark discussion and further illuminate the runaway and homeless youth crisis.
- Create an e-campaign: Tell your online contacts about National Runaway Prevention Month by adding the following message to your e-mail signature or social media network: “November is National Runaway Prevention Month! Get involved today by visiting 1800RUNAWAY.org.”
Need more information? The National Runaway Safeline has planning and promo materials to help you get involved.